Wednesday 18 March 2009

Clive Owen

Someone this week wrote that Clive Owen is a big success in Hollywood; for God's sake, he's just made a film with Julie Roberts - he must be big now! But then the writer said that he might turn out to be the new Cary Grant.
Might. Just might. Might not I think. I doubt if he'll even think of trying because I cannot see Clive Owen playing the sort of sophisticated, looney, sometimes even goofy stuff that Cary Grant could play with a coolness that made the characters almost believeable.
I can't think of a more brilliant opening to a film than the first 20 minutes of "Bringing Up Baby". I can't see Owen in that sort of role (nor Julia Roberts in place of Katherine Hepburn). There is a desperation about Grant that is covered with a desire not to be made a fool of; and there is an almost spiteful grace about Hepburn as she seems intent on netting the professor without ever appearing to be in love with him.
I like Clive Owen and hopes he does go on to make better and better films but, if I were asked to give him a spot of advice, it would be: "Be yourself; don't try to be anyone else and certainly don't try to be Cary Grant or the differences will show like patches in a dress suit."

No comments: