Wednesday 29 May 2013

Arnold Bax

I bought a book from Amazon recently called "The Symphony"; a set of chapters on great composers of the form: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Berlioz, Mendelsshon, Schumann, Liszt, Franck, Bruckner, Brahms, Borodin, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Mahler, Elgar, Sibelius, Vaughan-Williams, Rachmaninov and one other whom I did not expect to see there - Arnold Bax.
The book was first published by Penguin in 1949 which is about the time I first bought it. It was on my shelves for a long time but when I looked a few years ago it had gone, I don't know where. So I decided I needed it again when I recently heard Vaughan-Williams' second symphony, known as "The London". No doubt there are many other books from which I could have obtained the information I needed but I suddenly had a nostalgic desire to look again at this book.
It's very good. It's not written by one person but has different authors for each chapter.
As I say, I did not expect to see Sir Arnold Bax's name there; I can't recall that his name was there but, obviously, since it's the same book, not a revised edition, it must have been.
I didn't even know that he wrote symphonies. Elgar, yes. V-Williams, yes. But not Bax. I knew only one piece by Bax and that I think is his most popular work: Tintagel, a tone poem about a castle on the coast of Cornwall. Can't say I like it much. But I must try out a symphony or two of his - from seven - on Youtube.
His name came to mind last week when I watched David Lean's "Oliver Twist": Bax wrote the incidental music for the film. Jolly good too.

No comments: