Friday 20 April 2012

Mina

I went to Trip.com to find out which are the best restaurants in Cardiff and found a Lebanese place called Mina to be top of the list. It had a series of excellent reviews so I was tempted to go there. Recently I had received a certain amount of money from an American cousin who wanted to give me a present - I won't tell you why. She sent me a couple of hundred quid and I told her I'd use it to buy some good meals in Cardiff.
Thus my wife and I went to Mina's. It's an unassuming sort of place from the outside in an area of Cardiff where there are many Asian and Chinese retaurants. Inside,the decor was bright but not off-puttingly stark. We were shown to two seats at the window overlooking the street. The waiter was very charming and pleasant. We ordered a bottle of red house wine and soon had before us a bottle of Lebanese red wine which was delicious and cost about £11. I noticed it said 14% on the label which, to me, is quite hign, almost as much as Sherry.
The meal we ordered was chicken with mushrooms and a few other bits and pieces in a delicious white sauce, not spicey, rather bland perhaps but very tasty, with rice. Very enjoyable.
But I couldn't finish it and when the waiter looked with some apologetic wonder at my not having quaffed the lot I had to explain that now that I was "getting on in years" my stomache capacity was not what it had been when I had been a young man.
It is a little embarrasing I find. It happens whenever I go out to dine. I feel the waiter and chef must feel that the food was not to my liking but this isn't so, it's just that I get "full" after I have eaten about half to two thirds of the quantity on the plate. I wish they would cater for us olduns and serve us smaller portions (at a reduced price of course).
The desert was a lighter affair: youhurt with soft honey covered in pestachio nuts. Angel's food.
9 out of 10 for Mina's. Cost for two? £43. Good.

No comments: