Friday 23 October 2009

Longines

I own a Longines watch. It's lying in a drawer, not working, with no hands. It was there when we had a burglary and it's still there. Beside it were a couple of digital watches worth hardly anything; they're what the burglar took. He must have looked at the Longines, saw it was not working and had no hands and left it; the gold in it is worth more than the bits and pieces, such as white, gym socks, a pullover that he did take (though he also took a video machine and an expensive diamond ring which, a policeman who called said he probably would have sold to a second hand shop for a few quid).
I was told when I had the watch cleaned a long time ago that Longines were worth quite a lot but not working they were worth only the gold in them. I don't know what to do with this watch: to get it repaired at the Longines distributors would have cost me about £300 and that was about 15 years ago. Is it worth it? From the nostalgic point of view, that it was my father's before me, it would I suppose be worth it but it's a lot of money to be nostalgic about.
I wonder what a new Longines is worth these days. I was on a plane a long time ago sitting next to a man who said "Is that a Longines you have there?" I said yes. He seemed impressed. He told me he dealt in watches and that my Longines was worth about £600. Now? I showed it to an auctioneer who looked at it and said "worthless".
So there it lies with no strap and no hands and the inside is broken. I am told that gold is selling for high prices these days..... No, think I'll keep it a while, might win Ernie or Lotto.... Apart from nostalgia there's a sort of glamour about it: mentioned, I recall, in a Raymond Chandler novel - rich guy, probably a crook, dressed elegantly and "on his wrist was a Longines".

No comments: