Thursday 11 April 2013

Rebecca West

There is a new biography published about Rebecca West. I can't imagine many people wanting to read it since Rebecca West is not well known these days. I know a few small things about her: she wrote a famous report of The Nuremberg Trials of the Nazi war criminals; she had a long affair with H.G.Wells in her twenties (when she was a "new" woman in the style and manners of a Shaw heroine - though her name Rebecca West is a pseudonym and is taken from Rosmersolm by Ibsen) from which resulted a son whom she neglected and who, in turn, got to hate her; she wrote many novels none of which are read now (I guess); I once read one of her novels, "There is no Conversation", and thought it pretty dreadful.
I do recall this very intelligent oldish woman on TV a long time ago, in The Brains Trust I believe, a formidable lady, tweedy in costume, informing us that she knew how Bernard Shaw had come to write his play "Saint Joan"; she maintained that Shaw's wife left books about Joan littered around the house, Shaw kept picking them up and glancing at them etc etc. Eureka! Shaw writes "St Joan". I only half believed it.

No comments: