Monday 13 June 2011

Sports

I was looking forward to seeing the film "Only Angels Have Wings" which I saw a few years ago and remember it for its wit and for Cary Grant who, incidentally, David Thomson rates the best film actor of them all. He is always a bit goofy in Howard Hawks films, especially so in "Monkey Business" and "Bringing up Baby", and here he is quite goofy at times but more of the office bully type as he is in "His Girl Friday". So I set "The Box" to record it since it was playing at 1.00 p.m.. But what did I find? Instead of the film the BBC decided to show tennis. So I, no doubt, have recorded Murray versus some French bloke instead of the film. I don't like Andy Murray. He is just too dull a creature. And what is so important about the contest at Queens club that it takes up half the afternoon on TV? But, of course, a British tennis player is taking part and surely, in BBC-think, surely all of Britain will have their eyes glued to their TV sets. It's pathetic. Anyway, Murray is Scottish and proud of it so why should we of the other three parts of Britain be cheering him on? He'll probably vote Scottish Nationalist when the time comes for a referendum.
But, God help us, we've got the Wimbledon affair soon. Let's hope Murray doesn't make it past the first or second round; it's bad enough watching the primas donas prance about the place - and I mean the men, don't watch women at all (unless they're worth looking at like that unpronounceable Russian beauty) - without a dullard like Murray taking up prime time on TV.
I'm afraid that most sportsmen are pretty dull people; they usually just talk about sport and nothing but sport. Strangely enough, though I don't like watching boxing much except when heavyweights are trying to kill their opponents, but I always find what they have to say interesting. They too usually only talk about boxing but it's the fact that they've been there bashing away for an hour or so and being bashed too that makes what they say interesting. The new one, the British fighter who's just won something or other - he's a really good talker. Tommy Farr was a wonderful talker on boxing and boxers. I think boxing films are the only sport films I like. Always have. "Gentleman Jim" and "Rocky" come to mind.
Imagine a film about tennis players. I know it's been done but d'you think I'd go to see that?
George Bernard Shaw liked to put the gloves on occasionaly; in fact he wrote a novel about a boxer. I have it hear on the shelf: "Cashel Byron's Profession". Rather good too.

No comments: