Saturday 30 April 2011

Royal Music

Someone once, long ago. asked me why I had, when in London for a week, on holiday, attended the ceremony at the cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday. I said because of the music chiefly though I did find the marching etc. rather moving. I love Walford's "Solemn Melody" (I suppose he must have written other pieces of music but this is the only work of his I have ever heard). It was played by massed brass bands which is always thrilling.
This came to mind when I found myself, against my will, watching the Royal Wedding: the music would perhaps balance the sentimentality of the occasion. Actually, there was little sentimentallity to experience: the English do these occasions so well, with military precision and effectiveness such that there's no room for tears or shows of public sentiment. I enjoyed it. All of it. I liked the bride - she is a real beauty with a smile that could melt the heart of a knave. The prince is quite likeable too, much more so than some of The Firm. But it was the music that thrilled.
I read somewhere that the music was chosen by Prince Charles and the bride, Kate Middleton herself. Another mark up for the young woman and a great leap up in my estimation for the prince, her father-in-law to be. Obviously the guy has taste. Of course he has taste: doesn't he always get seven eggs boiled for him for breakfast for different periods of time so that he can choose the one done just right for him (the other six probably go in the bin).
So there was no pop music played in spite of Elton John being present (no "Candle in the Wind" thank God!); no light music at all; nothing to make you think "here we have a real, great, modern marriage". No. We heard Hubert Parry, a choral work, Cwm Rhondda and Jerusalem sung with spirit (as if it's a patriotic song, which it isn't), then a short choral work by John Rutter (safe hands there) and at the end when the married couple were leaving, walking the length of Westminster Abbey - which is some walk, especially in the clobber they both had on - William Walton's magnificent march "Crown Imperial". I almost stood up and saluted.
Why was William Walton not made Master of the Queen's Music? He could turn that stuff out like nobody's business: Crown Imperial, Spitfire Prelude and Fugue, Orb and Sceptre etc. All great stuff. Good as Elgar.... why wasn't he too made Master of the King's Music? One of his Pomp and Circumstance marches has practically become the National Anthem.
Ah! I see. Now I know. Elgar was a Catholic.
Just a guess.
Poor Max Whats-his-name, who is Master of the Queen's Music wasn't even invited to write something. He was hurt. He said "I'm not even going to watch it."

No comments: