Friday 14 May 2010

Side-kicks

The other night I was sitting in St David's Hall, Cardiff, listening to Rimsky-Korsakov's "Schererezade" when a thought struck me: wasn't this part of the work, a rousing section of loud music, that which was, many years ago, used as the opening theme of Francis Durbridge's.... er.... er.... I just couldn't remember the name of the detective. I knew the name of his side-kick: Steve but I could not for the life of me think of his name, the smooth, very English sleth. One of the troubles is that you start not listening to the concert while your mind is trying to discover the detective's name. As soon I got home, onto the internet - Francis Durbridge -and there it was: Paul Temple.
Which made me think of other side-kicks, detective's helpers, often stooges. What's their purpose? I suppose it is a character on which the ace detective can test his theories, someone who sometimes offers advice (rarely taken), someone who is there to persuade you, the listener or viewer or reader, that the eccentricities of the ace private eye (they usually are not policemen) are balanced by the normality of his assistant.
I miss Paul Temple and Steve. I liked their unfalappable smoothness and unfailing politeness, their Englishness maybe, probably a fiction itself but likeable, comforting.
Sherlock Holmes and Watson are, of course, the best known and loved of them all, though Holmes himself is not at all a loveable character. He's a highly eccentric, intelligent drug addict and violinist, never a bore but never a polite guy like Temple; while Doctor Watson is an intelligent helper often at odds with Holmes's methods but forever constant in his admiration for the man.
My father was fond of Sexton Blake and his side-kick - Snowy? I, as a child, enjoyed the films of Bulldog Drummond but can't recall him having an assistant. The Saint was a loner I believe. So was Mr Moto (played in the series of films by Peter Lorre).
In modern times there's Morse and Lewis and now Lewis and the young, bright, educated copper who helps him.
After a series or two they stopped playing the Schererazade piece as intro and used a less classical work "Coronation something or other" by Vivian Ellis. Probably it was more suitable,lighter, more English. But whenever I hear the Russian music, this is the piece that always brings to mind Francis Durbridge's.... er.... er.... what's his name?.... and Steve.

No comments: