Wednesday 5 August 2009

Love stories

When I was tutoring a class of creative writers I met two very old ladies who each told me a love story that, they said, was true. I had no reason to disbelieve them for they were delightful, honest human beings one of whom was from Ireland, the other was local Welsh.
The Irish woman told me a story that had the famous writer Frank O'Conner as the main character. He fell in love with a married woman whose husband was a military officer. She left her husband to go and live with O'Conner. They lived together for some time until Frank O'Conner died. Soon after, the woman's husband asked her to come back to him. She did and they continued living together as man and wife.
The other lady had been a nanny to a rich family in South Wales. One of the daughters of the family fell in love with one of the "cow men" (she used this expression if memory serves me right). The family instantly dismissed him and he went to work elsewhere. They forbad her to have anything more to do with him but she followed him, married him and they lived happily together. Of course, the family would have nothing to do with her after that. But the woman who told me the story said that she often visited them at their small holding. She told me they were very happily married with a few children.

No comments: