Tuesday 28 July 2009

Fish and Chips

On the weekend, after going to see Chekov's "The Cherry Orchard", we dined in a rather good restaurant near the Old Vic called "Bar + Kitchen"; popular with pre-play diners and, like us, after-play diners. I had pan fried duck in a port sauce with French beans and potatoes Dauphinoise. It was delicious. I had been out of sorts all day and was, before the show, worried about how my stomache would greet food; it greeted it with a smile.
I had almost chosen the cod and chips meal which, I thought, might have been kinder to my unsettled stomache, but I have a sort of rule about eating out (which I rarely do) - I don't eat fish and chips in anywhere but fish and chip shops/restaurants.
I read today a short additional obituary/memory to Edward Downes in The Times in which the writer, friend and colleague of the conductor, told how, when visiting Leeds, Downes always ate fish and chips at a certain favourite chip shop.
I too have in memory a certain fish and chip shop which serves the best plaice and chips I have ever tasted. It is in Stratford-on-Avon in a street whose name, at this moment, I cannot rememeber (see further blogs for more accurate info.).
But a few months ago I discovered an almost equally good restaurant which serves fish and chips as well as, surprisingly, other meals; this one is on the front in Western-Super-Mare.
I am told that there is a great fish and chip restaurant in Muswell Hill which, since my daughter lives there, I shall soon visit. It has something most fish and chip joints do not have - a wine list.
An added attraction!

No comments: