Friday 29 May 2009

Weston Super Mare

Richard Morrison, writing in The Times a week or so ago, specially mentioned Weston Super Mare as a dreadful holiday resort. I was there today and I felt he'd got it all wrong. His brief, I felt, was to look at seaside resorts through the jaundiced eyes of someone who wanted them to be something other than what they were.
I was surprised today how many people were there along the promenade and in the town. I have never seen so many cars collected in one town before today. All the restaurants and cafes were bustling with trade. Kids were in great number on the long sandy beach, some were bathing - which is often difficult since the tide goes way out seemingly for miles. Donkey rides were popular and ice cream was so popular that one had to queue for a lonmg time to buy one. Yes, I even saw candy floss for sale.
In short, this is a place where people can enjoy an old fashioned type of holiday.
I was determined to do three things: walk the promenade (we rode it in a motorised train); have a fish and chip meal (the best plaice and chip meal I have had in years); eat an ice-cream cornet (alas I didn't wish to queue so missed out on that treat).
I must say today was a perfect summer's day; Weston Super Mare on a wet day is, I have to say, close to what Richard Morrison's feeling for it was in his article.

No comments: