Tuesday 3 February 2009

Watches

What did Bernard Madoff do with all those billions he had fraudilently accrued? Well, one of the things he bought was watches. Not one but many. And not your Timex (if they still exist) but the famous Rolex. Heaps of them.
What I want to know is why anyone would want a Rolex watch - OK, people like the look of them or like finding out what time it on Mars, or like having them to show off to others. But why more than one? You can only look at one at a moment of time; if you look at two the times you see will be different because..... wait for it.... time has passed.
And why heaps of them?
There's something about rich people I don't really understand; they don't seem to be rich to be able to enjoy themsleves more by going on expensive holidays, say, or picking up expensive hookers, say - they seem to enjoy being rich because they are rich.
My son bought some rather expensive after shave and with it came a free watch which he gave to me because I then didn't have one. It was battery operated. I think I changed the battery three times in its lifetime. Which was over ten years.
I can just visualise Bernard Madoff in his prison cell looking at his Rolex watch and seeing what time it is on Mars. And probably wishing he was there.

No comments: