Monday 26 January 2009

Principals

I once worked in a college where a head of department, doing extra evening work as overtime, used to sign his five daughters up for his course in order to get the required number for the course to start, then, after a few weeks, they'd drop out one by one, by which time he was officially able to continue the course (and so get paid!).
I told this true story to a philosopher lecturer when I was in his extra mural class. He looked a little dubious. "It's true," I said. "And later on the man became a principal of a college." "Hah!" he said, "that I can understand."
Probably the reason for that was that the philosopher's college had a principal who was known to be crafty if not actually a crook. I met him a couple of times and got on well with him. He told me how, when the students were rioting over something he had done - can't recall what - he had had to climb through the window of his office to retrieve some very incriminating papers which he then destroyed.
The man was depised if not hated. Why did I quite like him? I don't know. He was a character, I think that's the reason. So was his wife. Talk about a drunken wench! She'd appear at theatrical events in the college absolutely plastered, hardly able to walk, and grinning if not actually laughing aloud at.... we never knew what.
Are all principals like that - crooked? Perhaps it goes with the job.

No comments: